Dell's Original Uncoverage Logo by Antonio F. Branco, Comically Incorrect

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Obama Delivers Campaign Rhetoric - Long On Ideas; Short On Details

Obama Delivers Campaign Rhetoric - Long On Ideas; Short On Details

You can’t blame the man, really.  If he were to actually deliver a State of the Union Address the stock market would have crashed this morning” - DRH



By Dell Hill via The Cato Institute

One of the primary reasons why I believe it’s far better to declare myself as a Conservative Independent - rather than a Conservative Republican - is the fact that I can clearly see areas of distinct difference between what I believe and what card-carrying Republicans believe.

I didn’t watch the President’s State of the Union address.  I reviewed the pre-speech news releases and monitored the Twitter feed of several (about 30) colleagues as the speech wore on and today, I’m convinced that the President is a walking, talking re-election campaigner and the Republicans foolishly trotted out the wrong person to deliver their response.  Mitch Daniels has about as much charisma as my hated high school algebra teacher and his delivery only elevates Obama’s performance.  If Sarah Palin had delivered the very same remarks the roof would have come right off the place.

The Republicans need a “Sham Wow” guy.  Mitch Daniels isn’t him.  It’s time to trot out your “A Game”, boys and girls.

After wading through a dozen or more reports this morning, I believe the most accurate - and the one that reflects my own political thinking - comes from The Cato Institute.

                   

The Cato Institute Responds to President Obama’s State-of-the-Union Address

                   
January 25, 2012 by Dan Mitchell
                                    
I’ve already bragged that the Cato Institute is America’s best think tank, highlighting the fact that we took the lead in battling against Obama’s faux stimulus at a time when many were dispirited and reluctant to fight big government.

I’m biased, of course, so I’ll understand if you discount what I say. But I hope you’ll agree that my colleagues have put together an excellent video response to the President’s state-of-the-union speech.


   
As part of my contribution to the video, beginning around 6:35, I debunk the President’s class-warfare tax agenda by citing IRS data from the 1980s to explain that higher tax rates don’t necessarily mean higher tax revenue.

After a night’s sleep, here are a few additional observations on the President’s remarks.

  • I also was not surprised that he didn’t say much about jobs and the economy.  These four charts show he doesn’t have much to brag about.


  • It was equally revealing that he didn’t spend much time on the so-called income inequality issue.  Redistribution was implicit in what he said, to be sure, but the Occupy-Wall-Street crowd is probably disappointed that he didn’t explicitly embrace their agenda.  More evidence that the pollsters played a big role in this speech.



  • And I was stunned that he could talk about the housing meltdown and mortgage crisis without mentioning the Federal Reserve, Fannie Mae, or Freddie Mac.  Sort of like analyzing World War II and pretending Germany and Japan didn’t exist.


Read the entire review by clicking right here.

Dell’s Bottom Line:

From the transcript of his speech, I noted the very same things that most observers mentioned.  The president is long on talk and short on details and action.

What viewers heard last night was a rewritten campaign speech that sounded like reruns of several previous grand performances.  

The State of the Union?

I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment